Monday, May 4, 2009

what the heck are antioxidants, and why should I care?...

may 4. 2009
I've missed my blogging on all health issues as they come up and I read them. Time is flying, and as I've been around different family members, it only causes me to turn to my blog to get my health issues off of my chest. It's amazing to me how many people think that there really aren't harmful chemicals in the things we use or eat. It really blows my mind to be honest. I guess a lot of people aren't interested, but after having my health issues, I will be an informed consumer, the best I can. I'm not perfect, we just ate box brownies(something we rarely do!), but most of the time we are very cautious, or try to be.

So an interesting topic I've learned greatly about, since our cruise in February, along with finding out about healthy chocolate, is antioxidants. We've heard this word a lot, it's thrown around here and there, but what does it mean, and is it really important. Well, really the lifeblood of our body... staying in good health, and fighting off diseases, cancers, Parkinsons, you name it, there's a good reason to be eating good food high in antioxidants. Coming into healthy chocolate, I've had my share of criticisms, particularly from my family, and yet, no one takes the time to give it five seconds, to really think, "wow, could something that is kept in it's natural state actually be so good for me, it could lengthen the years of my life and the quality of my life?" No, it's all about harassment and how silly it is. I must say, that until you experience the lack of health, where so many highly potent drugs can't even knock the pain your body is lashing at you, and after twelve hours of sleep, you still can hardly move, you may not be interested in having a good quality of health, because it all seems fine now. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but what we feel when we're not paying attention to what we're putting in our body will only last so long, and then we will be called to pay attention when our bodies can't fight the large amount of chemicals being poured into and onto it.

If you for some reason have some spark of interest in what antioxidants do for you, and why you should maybe pay a bit of attention to them, there is a $5.00 book called the Antioxidant miracle. Science is amazing, can be life changing, life altering, and life saving. Some things require faith, some things require work, and some things require patience. Science doesn't answer all questions, but studies on certain things can be a pretty darn close to absolute. Nothing is for certain, it's science. Evidence, theories, results, but it's when you see results for many years on studies that you should start paying attention. Stop being passive, and be someone who actually decides to take control of your life. Stop being ignorant, and start doing research for yourself. Don't take my word for it, google scholar it. It could be the difference that can alter the rest of your life. There are no guarantees in anything you do, but does that mean you just don't do? Of course not. Make a change, and make it now. Make a difference for your life and those around you. Who cares what people think, they can be persuaded by what is streamlined to them by their t.v.'s. Be one of those that thinks for themselves!

No comments: